December 19, 2011

Christmas cookie tradition

For as long as I can remember my sisters and I would make sugar cookies for the holidays and decorate them with frosting. My mom would always let us use her decorating tips and we would have at least 5 to 6 colors to use on the cookies. This year is the first year I am doing it with my daughter. We made the dough before nap and let it chill while she was sleeping. Then I heard footsteps heading my way with a voice yelling out "we can roll the cookies now!" So off we went to roll out the dough and cut out our Christmas cookie shapes. My younger sister Allison was helping us too and when it came to rolling out the dough Ruby always insisted on having her help, not mama. Once we baked all the cookies we were ready for the frosting. Ruby chose 3 colors: blue, green, and red! I can remember when I was little, for my last cookie I would mix all the colors together and had the cookie piled high with frosting...that was the first one I ate:) It is so special to share this tradition with my daughter now and to see what kind of ideas and creative things she comes up with to make it her own.
Later we played a game of "I Spy" with the ornaments on the Christmas tree. I was very impressed with how fast Ruby found the ornaments! She is one smart girl! To end our little festivities for the day we watched "The Snowman." Such a classic holiday film for children that had Ruby completely sucked in.





Aunt Allison and Ruby rolling out the dough!

Getting ready to frost!


Shepherd snuggling up in his Christmas blanket made by grandma Becky
I spy with my little eye something red and white with stripes...

No comments:

Post a Comment